As sports competitions move forward for the fall and plans move forward for winter and spring after COVID-19 closures, the...Read More
You are here
A fellowship-trained and board-certified orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Matthew Mitchell specializes in the surgical and nonsurgical care of the lower extremity as well as the elbow, hand, and wrist. His expertise includes ankle, foot, hand, and knee surgery in addition to ACL reconstruction, knee replacement, cartilage transplantation, bone lengthening, and ultrasound-guided injections. Dr. Mitchell customizes his care approach to each patient, using nonoperative treatments first before discussing operative options.
After graduating from the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with his bachelor’s degree, Dr. Mitchell earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. He completed his general surgery internship and orthopedic surgery residency training at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Mitchell later went to Australia to complete his foot and ankle surgery fellowship training at Royal North Shore Hospital and St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, New South Wales.
Dr. Mitchell is an Iowa native, and when he is not seeing patients, he enjoys playing the bagpipes and swimming competitively. He participated in the World Masters Championships in Kazan, Russia, in 2016 and Montreal, Canada, in 2015, and he is also a USA Swimming official and referee at USA Swimming events.
Dr. Mitchell is available to see patients at our Casper office.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
- Doctor of Medicine: Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- General Surgery Internship: The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship: Royal North Shore Hospital and St. Vincent's Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- International Congress on Joint Replacement
- Natrona County Medical Society, Board Member
- Wyoming High School Activities Association Sports Medicine Committee, Member
- Wyoming Medical Society, Board Member
- U.S. Air Force: Served as Orthopedic Surgeon, Lieutenant Colonel
- Casper College Thunderbirds
- Natrona County High School Mustangs
- Mountain View Regional Hospital
- Summit Medical Center
- Wyoming Medical Center
- Wyoming Surgical Center
- Memorial Hospital of Converse County
Sports Medicine Experts at Casper Orthopedics Offer 5 Safety Tips for 2020-21 Athletes
Casper Orthopedics and Local Medical Providers Host Free Christmas Concert to Benefit Wounded Service Members
Casper Orthopedics Hosted “Tribute to First Responders”
Casper Orthopedics, Summit Medical Center, Elkhorn Valley Rehabilitation Hospital, and the Wyoming Behavioral Institute hosted their concert, “...Read More