You are here
Dr. Demian Yakel is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in back, neck, and spine treatment. He prefers to deliver nonsurgical treatments, utilizing surgical methods that minimize intrusion to expedite recovery and healing when surgery is necessary. The treatment options Dr. Yakel offers include minimally invasive spinal fusion and decompression, complex spinal reconstruction, discectomy, artificial disc replacement, scoliosis correction, spinal cord stimulators, revision spine surgery, epidural injections, facet injections, and nerve blocks.
Most of the minimally invasive spine procedures Dr. Yakel performs can be done at the Wyoming Surgery Center and do not require hospitalization. Working with his patients to help meet their individual needs, Dr. Yakel has dedicated his practice to helping his patients restore their quality of life and resume the activities they enjoy.
Dr. Yakel received his Bachelor of Science degree from Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona. He attended medical school at Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in Chicago, Illinois, where he also completed his rotating internship and orthopedic surgery residency. Dr. Yakel later underwent fellowship training in adult and child reconstructive spinal surgery at the Texas Back Institute in Plano, Texas.
A fourth-generation Wyomingite, Dr. Yakel was born in Worland and returned to Wyoming in 2009 to raise his four children. He enjoys the rewarding challenge of diagnosing and treating spine problems and using his passion to help fellow Wyomingites in need. When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Yakel also enjoys spending his free time snow skiing and water skiing.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Traditional Rotating Internship: Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Adult and Child Reconstructive Spinal Surgery Fellowship: Texas Back Institute, Plano, TX
- American Osteopathic Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- American Osteopathic Association
- North American Spine Society
- Mountain View Regional Hospital
- Summit Medical Center
- Wyoming Medical Center
- Wyoming Surgical Center
- Memorial Hospital of Converse County
- Instructor: Anterior Lumbar Spine, Exposure Strategies and Techniques for the Treatment of Degenerative Disc Disease, June 10, 2006, Dallas, TX
Honors & Awards
- Salute to Service Award: Medical Society of Virginia Foundation. Presented to those directly involved in the patient care and compassionate response to the shooting at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007.
- Bob Green Memorial Award: American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics. Awarded to the highest combined score of part one and two orthopedic surgery board exam, 2006.
- Albert Schweitzer Fellowship: Developed and implemented a program consisting of over 200 hours of community service focused on the physical rehabilitation of Chicago homeless victims of orthopedic trauma, 1999 – 2000.
- Book Chapter: Singh, Yakel, Wojewnik, Vaccaro, Ohnmeiss, Blumenthal: Lumbar Spine Arthroplasty Operative Techniques: Spine Surgery, Alexander Vacaro. Elsevier Health Sciences, 2007.